[Distutils] new zc.buildout and virtualenv no longer friends?

Maurits van Rees m.van.rees at zestsoftware.nl
Fri Apr 30 19:09:14 CEST 2010

Op 30-04-10 16:32, Gary Poster schreef:

> On Apr 30, 2010, at 3:25 AM, Chris McDonough wrote:
>> - Running the above bootstrap.py with the virtualenv python and the
>> -v1.4.3 argument.
>>
>>   bin/python bootstrap.py -v1.4.3
>>
>> - Run bin/buildout
>>
>> That produces a working environment.
>
> Thanks for the clear instructions for the work-around, Chris and Rok.
>
> While one of the goals of the new buildout is to make virtualenv unnecessary with it if desired, I think it is a priority that virtualenv and zc.buildout continue to be able to work together.  I'll investigate this report today.

For the record, I see the same thing.  I'll post some observations here
in case they help in debugging.

I have a python in a virtualenv and that one is on the PATH so it gets
used by default.  It gives the same problems the others were seeing.

Using the system python (Mac 10.6 btw) works.

"python bootstrap.py -v 1.4.3" solves it for me as well, as long as
zc.buildout is properly pinned in the buildout.cfg, otherwise the next
bin/buildout run will upgrade itself (when in newest mode), restart and
give the same problems.  So a buildout.cfg like this normally works:

=====================
[buildout]
versions = versions
parts = somepart

[versions]
zc.buildout = 1.4.3

[somepart]
recipe = zc.recipe.egg
eggs = eolfixer

Sometimes it still goes wrong though, depending on what I tweak in the
versions, and whether I run buildout in newest or non-newest mode, and
how bootstrap has been run.  Sometimes I end up with this in
bin/buildout, and then only a new bootstrap with -v1.4.3 helps:

#!/Users/mauritsvanrees/envs/py24/bin/python2.4 -S

import sys
sys.path[0:0] = [
     '/Users/mauritsvanrees/tmp/foo/parts/buildout',
     ]