[Distutils] GCC versions and binary egg names

Marius Gedminas marius at pov.lt
Sun Aug 1 01:19:55 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jul 31, 2010 at 05:38:01PM +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> Tres Seaver wrote:
> >By never, ever, ever distributing binary eggs, especially for
> >Linux.
>
> That's fine in a world without python packages with C and Fortran
> extensions that are a royal PITA to compile. (fragile much?!)

In my experience the difficulty is figuring out which non-Python
dependencies you need installed (libraries, header files, compilers,
build tools).  Cheating (of the 'sudo apt-get build-dep python-numpy'
kind) helps, if what you're trying to install is a (newer version of a)
package that's already been packaged for your distribution.

Is that what you experience too, or are there other sources of pain?

Marius Gedminas
--
Hanlon's Razor:
        Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained