[Distutils] how can I egt the packages and modules in a distribution?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Aug 19 19:29:06 CEST 2010

Hi All,

Given a distribution name (ie: one of those things setuptools uses,
'name' parameter to setup.py's setup call, etc) of a dsitrbution that
has been installed with easy_install, buildout, pip, etc, how can I find
out what python packages (ie: dotted names that I can import) are
provided by that package?

I'm trying to write a scanner than looks for SQLAlchemy table objects
and it would be great to be able to pass a distribution name rather than
a set of dotted package names...

cheers,

Chris