[Distutils] how can I egt the packages and modules in a distribution?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Aug 20 01:20:07 CEST 2010

P.J. Eby wrote:
>> Ah, okay. I assume this will only work for packages that use setuptools?
>
> Or distribute.  Or pip (I assume).  Anything but plain distutils,
> basically.

Well, the packages import setup from setuptools for all of the above,
apart from plain distutils ;-)

>> How do static resources returned with pkg_resources.resource_filename
>> and friends fare when packages are installed in a "flat" form?
>
> They go in the same relative location as they would in an egg, it's just
> that in flat layouts everyone's files are in the same namespace.
>
> Sort of a "scrambled egg", if you will.  ;-)

Okay, so if we have two distributions, x.a and x.b both define template
folders called 'templates', and each has a template called 'master',
what ends up on disk? what does
pkg_resources.resource_filename('x.a','templates/master') return?
It should be different to
pkg_resources.resource_filename('x.b','templates/master'), but will it be?

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk