[Distutils] use2to3 and non-package files

Alex Stewart alex at foogod.com
Thu Aug 26 20:59:11 CEST 2010

Hi there,

I have a project I want to use with the 'use2to3' option of distribute to maintain a common codebase for both 2.x and 3.x..

(First of all, let me say thank you so much for adding this option to distribute.. it makes this sort of thing so much easier :) )

Anyway, everything works fine for the code in the package directory.  The problem, however, is that I also have some directories containing unit tests, etc, which are not under the source dir (since I don't want them to be distributed), but do still need to be converted with 2to3 before they can be used (i.e. when doing 'python3 setup.py test')

I poked around a bit and didn't see an obvious way to do this.  Can anybody suggest the best way to go about implementing it?

Thanks,
-alex