[Distutils] Buildout release news

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Fri Aug 27 21:59:13 CEST 2010

On 08/27/2010 04:12 PM, Gary Poster wrote:

> I realize that a system Python happened to work for you before.
>
> That's a bit awkward, because with pre-1.5.0 zc.buildout, using a system Python was not supported.
>
> Therefore, your recipe was not supported.

"my recipe"?  osc.recipe.sysegg is not something that *I* made, I'm just
using it.  "Is not supported" sounds like a helpdesk telling me "linux
is not supported".

And "not supported"?  osc.recipe.sysegg installs the specific eggs I
tell it to find (in the system python) as develop eggs.  A nice trick
that works pretty well.

> No, but single buildouts are used to install different sections with entirely different requirements, including different Python versions.
>
>> The current implementation makes it look like every single part that needs the system matplotlib needs to have a configuration for "look in the system for matplotlib".
>
> Yes, parts are individually installed, per my statement above.

What? I've never ever seen a buildout that has to work with different
python versions in different parts.  A plone buildout just uses one
python.  A django buildout, too.  So it sounds to me like some
impressive over-engineering?

Note, I don't intend to offend with that statement :-)  It's just that
I'm thinking "I'll stick to 1.4.4 for the next half year and I'll
re-check whether it all works again afterwards".  And I don't like that
kind of thought, being that I'm using buildout a lot.  I introduced it
in my current company.  I (co-)wrote recipes.  So it feels a bit
dangerous if I'm not happily jumping on the newest version ;-)

Anway... I'll delve deeper into it in one or two weeks :-)

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees - reinout at vanrees.org - http://reinout.vanrees.org
Collega's gezocht!