[Distutils] different python versions in one buildout?!

Gary Poster gary.poster at canonical.com
Mon Aug 30 20:10:28 CEST 2010

On Aug 30, 2010, at 1:27 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:

>>> No, but single buildouts are used to install different sections with
>>> entirely different requirements, including different Python versions.
>>
>> This feels like needless complexity to me.
>
> This is a requirement we had here at ZC.  It wasn't
> needless.
>
>> If a different python is needed, it should be in its own buildout.
>> If you need to bundle a bunch of buildouts together because of this, use a
>> recipe that runs "sub buildouts" in a separate process...
>
> It's possible that this would be a better approach.  It's true that
> supporting multiple Python interpreters is a pain.  I don't have this
> need atm, so I'm not motivated to try your solution. :)
>
> I wonder what other people think.  Does anyone else have current
> need to deal with multiple Python versions in the same buildout?

Launchpad has needed to when we needed to generate scripts that were only supported by Python version X but Launchpad only supported version Y.  This was typically in transition periods, so the feature was very nice--we would be switching back to a uniform Python soon, but meanwhile, the buildout and its components still worked.

That kind of thing is generally my most compelling usage.

I've also used it (or seen it used?  I forget) to set up multiple test runners for different Python versions, for library packages.  That's convenient sometimes.

I could imagine these being done in a way as Chris described it, but to be convenient I'd want to share configuration across the buildouts--and meanwhile, the feature that does exist has suited nicely.

Gary