[Distutils] zc.buildout fails to use system-installed dep?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Dec 10 13:17:16 CET 2010

On Dec 10, 2010, at 09:36 AM, Brian Sutherland wrote:

>Please don't, this has been reported various times already.
>
>Removing the zope/__init__.py causes breakage in other places, as I
>detail in my response to your bug.
>
>I would guess that the real bug is at a deeper level.

Just a couple of things:

The way zope.interface "owns" the zope namespace is not correct.  Ideally,
there would be a separate binary package that owns zope/__init__.py and on
which all other zope subpackages depends.  This could of course be built from
the zope.interface source package.

Second, we're going to make a big push after Squeeze is released to convert
packaging to use dh_python2, the new goodness in Debian Python packaging.
This should make things more consistent, and, while I have not yet tracked
down specific details yet, it should make handling namespace packages much
more robust.  For example, with my flufl packages, there is no binary package
owning flufl/__init__.py.  That file does not show up in the binary package
and yet it still gets created properly when any of the subpackages get
installed.

Sadly PEP 382 was not complete in time for Python 3.2.

-Barry