[Distutils] Newbie - Buildout bootstrap error pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: zc.buildout==1.5.2

Cops Club copsclubuk at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 18:49:33 CET 2010

I'm a newbie to Python, so please be patient with me....

1) On Ubunto 10.10 I used sudo to install python-setuptools then used
easy_install to install zc.buildout.

2) I then logged on as a different user (who is not able to sudo) to create
my first buildout project.

 plonesvc at ubuntu:~$ mkdir exercise1

plonesvc at ubuntu:~$ cd exercise1/

plonesvc at ubuntu:~/exercise1$ buildout init

Creating '/home/plonesvc/exercise1/buildout.cfg'.

Creating directory '/home/plonesvc/exercise1/bin'.

Creating directory '/home/plonesvc/exercise1/parts'.

Creating directory '/home/plonesvc/exercise1/eggs'.

Creating directory '/home/plonesvc/exercise1/develop-eggs'.

Generated script '/home/plonesvc/exercise1/bin/buildout'.

3) I downloaded the bootstrap.py from svn
plonesvc at ubuntu:~$ wget \

http://svn.zope.org/*checkout*/zc.buildout/trunk/bootstrap/bootstrap.py

4)And tried to run the bootstrap - which failed:

plonesvc at ubuntu:~/exercise1$ python bootstrap.py

Downloading
http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.6/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "bootstrap.py", line 256, in <module>

    ws.require(requirement)

  File "/tmp/tmpCfYQ3c/setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg/pkg_resources.py", line
666, in require

  File "/tmp/tmpCfYQ3c/setuptools-0.6c11-py2.6.egg/pkg_resources.py", line
565, in resolve

pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: zc.buildout==1.5.2

5) I've tried searching for the error via google without success.

6) I have subsequently installed virtual env and setup a new buildout
project and run the bootstrap.py successfully.  Which, is great but I want
to know why I wasn't able to do this without virtual env?

I was wondering if someone could explain why step 4 above failed.  What was
the reason for this?

Simon