[Distutils] namespace packages ok to contain code?

Brad Allen bradallen137 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 00:11:44 CET 2010

Where I work we're considering a change to moving a group of packages
to using namespaces. We want the namespace paths to reflect a
dependency hierarchy, and the current plan requires putting some
source code into actual module distributions at the level of some of
the namespace packages.

Example:

toplevel.midlevel
toplevel.midlevel.a
toplevel.midlevel.b

Each of these three is a separate module distribution We want to put
core library code in the midlevel.

Some have warned this is not usually done, but no specific problems
with this approach have been identified. Any guidance on this would be
appreciated.

Thanks!