[Distutils] How to best install pkg_resources?

Arve Knudsen arve.knudsen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 14:40:54 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 2:24 PM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:

> At 01:42 PM 12/14/2010 +0100, Arve Knudsen wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Using Distribute in my setup.py, how do I best ensure that pkg_resources
>> gets installed along with my package? I've tried
>> 'install_requires=["setuptools>=0.6"]' as an argument to setup(), but
>> setuptools didn't get installed.
>>

> I don't know about Distribute, but it should definitely get installed if
> you're using setuptools.  Under what installation scenario(s) did setuptools
> *not* get installed?

Basically, my project bundles Distribute through distribute_setup.py, so
Distribute doesn't need to be preinstalled. When I try to install my project
(through 'python setup.py install') on a machine without
setuptools/pkg_resources installed, however, setuptools does not get
installed.

I'll try to reduce this to a simple case, i.e. a dummy project that requires
setuptools.

Arve