[Distutils] Including symlinked data files in an egg

Wichert Akkerman wichert at wiggy.net
Tue Dec 14 22:44:59 CET 2010

I have a package with a source that looks like this:

  setup.py
  MANIFEST.in
  Prototype/libraries/jquery.js
  Prototype/style/main.css
  my/
  my/package/
  my/package/templates/libraries -> ../../../Prototype/libraries
  my/package/templates/style -> ../../../Prototype/style

what I would like to accomplish is that when a bdist is made either
Prototype/ is installed somewhere and the symlinks point to it, or the
symlinks are replaced with a copy of the data they point to.

For a package maintained in subverion this works: when the sdist is
created the symlink is replaced with a copy of the thing it points to,
which is then included in the bdist. For a package maintained in git
this does not work: the symlink always appears to be ignored. Is there
a way to accomplish this?

Wichert.

--
Wichert Akkerman <wichert at wiggy.net>   It is simple to make things.