[Distutils] Including symlinked data files in an egg

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Dec 15 16:15:59 CET 2010

At 10:44 PM 12/14/2010 +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>I have a package with a source that looks like this:
>
>  setup.py
>  MANIFEST.in
>  Prototype/libraries/jquery.js
>  Prototype/style/main.css
>  my/
>  my/package/
>  my/package/templates/libraries -> ../../../Prototype/libraries
>  my/package/templates/style -> ../../../Prototype/style
>
>what I would like to accomplish is that when a bdist is made either
>Prototype/ is installed somewhere and the symlinks point to it, or
>the symlinks are replaced with a copy of the data they point to.
>
>For a package maintained in subverion this works: when the sdist is
>created the symlink is replaced with a copy of the thing it points
>to, which is then included in the bdist. For a package maintained in
>git this does not work: the symlink always appears to be ignored. Is there
>a way to accomplish this?

Most likely, the problem is with the file finder being used.  Are you
using a git plugin for setuptools, or simply listing everything in
MANIFEST.in?  If the former, it may be that the git plugin you're
using simply doesn't support symlinks.  If you're not using a git
plugin, perhaps there is something amiss in the MANIFEST.in, and
setuptools' built-in support for subversion is hiding the problem by
picking up the symlinks.