[Distutils] Including symlinked data files in an egg

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Dec 16 00:52:11 CET 2010

At 04:18 PM 12/15/2010 +0100, Wichert Akkerman wrote:
>On 12/15/10 16:15 , P.J. Eby wrote:
>>Most likely, the problem is with the file finder being used. Are you
>>using a git plugin for setuptools, or simply listing everything in
>>MANIFEST.in? If the former, it may be that the git plugin you're using
>>simply doesn't support symlinks. If you're not using a git plugin,
>>perhaps there is something amiss in the MANIFEST.in, and setuptools'
>>built-in support for subversion is hiding the problem by picking up the
>>symlinks.
>
>I am not using a git (or other) plugin. I tried listing things in
>MANIFEST.in, for example using:
>
>   graft my/package/templates/
>   graft my/package/templates/libraries
>
>unfortunately that had no effect: libraries was not included, not as
>symlink nor as a copy of the symlink target.

I don't know whether MANIFEST.in is supposed to support symlinks or
not, but the fact that it's working with subversion is strongly
indicative that setuptools' file finder is picking up stuff that
MANIFEST.in is not.

I don't know *why* MANIFEST.in wouldn't pick up symlinks,
though.  Perhaps you could try boiling this down to a simpler test
case (e.g., subversion and git versions of the same minimal package
containing only a symlink referred to by MANIFEST.in) so we can
narrow it down some more?