[Distutils] PEP 376 - RECORD file / Data files + pip feedback ?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 17:13:39 CET 2010

Hi,

The part that still requires some work is how to handle files prefixes
in the RECORD file.

Last time we said that we could benefit of having a PREFIXES file.
Then Wolojda started to work on a much more complete solution to track
data file locations :
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2009-November/014424.html

But IIRC he's not able to work on this at this time. (CCing him in case..)

What I suggest is that we leave this new work for a future enhanced
version of PEP 376, and try to finish a version that we would want to
have in Python 2.7 (that's coming very soon), where RECORD contains
what we want to make it possible to remove installed files + provide
the query API.

As far as I am concerned, the RECORD thingie needs more live examples
on various platforms (that's what I am working on now),

But since Pip has now a uninstaller for a few months, the question is:
what do you Pip guys think about this RECORD file ? (cc'ing Ian as
well - I know the other involved in that are listening here :))

Regards
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org