[Distutils] using distribute instead of distutils

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Feb 22 20:33:09 CET 2010

At 05:20 PM 2/22/2010 +0100, Jean Daniel wrote:
>Hello, I am writing a pure python module called wordish, which is
>similar to doctest in that it test snippets of code, parsed from an
>rst article and produce a report. wordish is available on Pypi in
>version 1.0 and the documentation is available at
>jdb.github.com/wordish. So far, I only distributed one file,
>*wordish.py* and the file was used like the following:: Â Â  Â
>python -m wordish my_article.rst I think I will turn to 'distribute'
>for the future release so that console entry points can be created
>automatically and installed in the shell path. I would like wordish
>to be used in this way:: Â Â  Â wordish my_article.rst I have read
>the documentation for distutils, distribute but still, but the
>overlap that the tools, and the problems that each tool solve. Can
>my setup.py support the installation of the following files, or
>should they be included in debian/fedora packages instead? 1. few
>examples files? 2. static html documentation files? 3. man pages for
>the console scripts?

The distutils doesn't really support installing such things well; you
can certainly include them in your *source* distribution, though.

>Also, I upload a source distribution (sdist) to the Python Package
>Index 4. should I use an *egg* instead?

No, it's not necessary.  Eggs are mainly useful as a drop-in-and-use
format for application plugins (such as extensions to Chandler, Trac,
and other plugin-enabled application environments), and distributing
precompiled C extensions on certain platforms.  easy_install and pip
can both operate just fine on source distributions, and if your code
is only pure Python, you don't need to distribute binaries.