[Distutils] from distutils.core import DistutilsOptionError

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Feb 23 23:04:48 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 1:14 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Thomas Heller <theller at ctypes.org> wrote:
>> One of my setup scripts contains:
>>
>>  from distutils.core import DistutilsOptionError
>>
>> which doesn't work anymore with Python trunk.  Bug in Python,
>> or in my setup script?
>
> This name was imported in distutils.core but never used, so the import
> line was removed in trunk, since importing it from core is considered
> as a mistake.
>
> you should do :
>
>  from distutils.errors import DistutilsOptionError

But you see the problem with "improving" distutils... That setup.py
script worked before. I recommend restoring as much as possible of
distutils in the trunk to its state as of 2.6. (I think some 2.6 micro
releases also broke some distros, but IIRC that was fixed in the
latest.)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)