[Distutils] from distutils.core import DistutilsOptionError

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 02:54:16 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 8:28 PM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 06:05 PM 2/23/2010 -0500, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>>
>> Or do you mean that you consider the exception classes located in
>> Distutils to be a common need
>> for people that write setup.py scripts ?
>
> A setup script may want to explicitly throw (or catch) distutils errors, and
> having only one place to import these things from makes distutils easier to
> use.  I don't consider it a *common* need, but I do consider it part of
> distutils' "core API", in the sense that if your code is either invoking
> distutils or being invoked by it, you may need to throw or catch those
> errors.
>
> In general, everything that's a *distutils-defined* symbol (not types, os,
> etc.) in distutils.core, I thought was intended to be imported from there,
> as they are all things that could be considered part of the "core API".
>  (And apparently, at least Thomas thought the same thing.)
> (If I'd been writing distutils, I'd have named the module distutils.api
> rather than distutils.core, and explicitly created an __all__ list for it,
> but it's pretty much the same thing.)

Ok. I don't think this was the intent,  (and from googling, it looks
like most ppl are using distutils.errors), but you are right : __all__
should have been used here in the first place.

I will follow your advice in distutils2, and probably make the call as
simple as setuptools':

    from distutils2 import setup

(if we keep setup.py which is not sure at all)

Regards,
Tarek