[Distutils] [RFC] Python 2.7 Distutils extra features

exarkun at twistedmatrix.com exarkun at twistedmatrix.com
Wed Jan 6 18:46:48 CET 2010

On 05:30 pm, ziade.tarek at gmail.com wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>Hello,
>>
>>Besides the PEP-related features, I would like to add some tiny
>>features in Distutils for Python 2.7 before the alpha stage is over :
>>
>>- a test command, that just uses the new unittest discovery to run
>>unittest-compatible tests.
>>
>>- a new option for sdist called 'extra_files', that will allow to list
>>extra files to be included in the distribution. these
>> files will not be installed by 'install', just be part of the
>>distribution.
>
>Ooops forgot the third one, (which might lead to further discussions):
>
>- a very basic pre/post commit hook for the install command.

Being able to run some code after install is done would certainly be
useful.  A couple things I wonder about...

Can the packages that were just installed be imported in the post hook?

What kind of interaction would this have with the bdist installers?
It'd be a shame of things like bdist_rpm suffered when packages took
advantage of these hooks.

Jean-Paul