[Distutils] packaging terminology confusion

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Thu Jan 7 13:24:55 CET 2010

Tarek Ziadé wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Eric Smith <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:
> [..]
>>> Normally the word 'distribution' is reserved for what lands in the
>>> 'dist' directory, such as a tarball or an egg...right?
>
> Right.
>
>> We should use the terminology as defined in
>> http://docs.python.org/distutils/introduction.html#distutils-specific-terminology
>>
>> So technically it's a "module distribution" we're talking about.
>
> Well, I wonder if we shouln't use the term "distribution" instead
> here. the "module" word is quite fuzzy to describe a distribution that
> might contain modules, data files, and/or packages. It doesn't bring
> any useful information to the terms here.

You're right: the word "module" here is confusing, since it has another
meaning (and is even mentioned in the previous section). But "module
definition" is indeed the correct term. Maybe we should mention that
where we use "distribution", the full term is "module definition" as
defined in that section. Calling it "module definition" throughout the
PEP would be horrible.