[Distutils] distribute 0.6.10 and convert_2to3_doctests

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 14:34:21 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 12:31, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> Hi Lennart, thanks for the response.  However, I don't think this is quite it.  I read this in the docs and deleted the entire build directory.  Then when I re-run the tests I can see that the .py files get "fixed" but it never tries to fix the README.txt.

I just checked out munepy, and tried it, and with me the problem is
that it doesn't even copy it. That's because Distribute sees any
non-python file as "Package data", which means you have to set
include_package_data = True in setup().

There is a bug here, or several. I suspect we should try to copy
doctest files in this case, even if you don't have
include_package_data, and also Distribute should complain if the
specified doctest file doesn't exist or isn't being copied.

But in any case, once I add "include_package_data = True" it works for
me, the file does get copied and converted.

The next problem is that the tests seem to be run on the original, and
not on the build-copy. And why that is, I don't know, and I have to
debug that, which I can't do right now. I'll try tonight or tomorrow.
It's most likely a bug in Distribute.

--
Lennart Regebro: http://regebro.wordpress.com/
Python 3 Porting: http://python-incompatibility.googlecode.com/