[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] packaging terminology confusion

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 12:52:21 CET 2010

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 12:40, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> At this point, people are just going to keep calling this entity a
> “package”, consistent with the majority of other languages and systems
> out there.

I'm not sure that's a problem. When you are talking about installation
and distribution, the distribution and the package are almost
identical.

> We'd have more chance, I think, of changing Python's concept “namespace
> that behaves like a module and can have sub-modules” — currently called
> “package” — to a different word and encouraging adoption of that new
> term.

I don't think it's realistic to change the name of one of the
fundamental concepts of Python. I sure as heck is not a question for
distutils-list. :-)

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64