[Distutils] Finishing PEP 345

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Mon Jan 11 04:19:44 CET 2010

> In article

>> ..
>> Obviously, some macs have intel processors and some don't. How would a
>> developer reasonably be expected to know which are which? and what
>> difference does it make?
>> ..
>
> In practice, this is seldom an issue on OS X as Pythons supplied by
> python.org and Apple are supplied as multi-architecture executables,
> i.e. the same file contains binaries for both 32-bit Intel and PPC CPUs
> and, in some cases, 64-bit Intel and 64-bit PPC as well.  The
> Apple-supplied build tool chain, and some code in the Python build
> scripts and Distutils, normally takes care of everything when building
> Python C extensions modules with no user intervention needed.  So there
> would almost never be a case where a platform.machine test would be
> needed for OS X.

I understand what you are saying and maybe you are 100% correct when you
are talking about the Apple platform.

PEP-345 doesn't mention platform.machine.

However, what you are now inferring is that there is no difference between
Apples and Windows based PCs. I'm not sure that this this is true or not.

My point, is how can a windows user be expected to know all that?

If 'i386' means all Apple and all Windows, then that needs to be clarified.

David