[Distutils] Finishing PEP 345

David Lyon david.lyon at preisshare.net
Mon Jan 11 06:13:46 CET 2010

Ned Deily wrote:

> It states in PEP 345 that "the OS and CPU for which the binary
> distribution was compiled" is described in the Supported-Platform field.
> It also says that the semantic of that field are not specified by this
> PEP.

Well it should be made clear where those semantics are to be found.

> Presumably the value returned by distutils.get_platform() would be
> used for this field and would continue to be used as is current practice
> with setuptools/Distribute to qualify binary egg names, for instance.

If that is the case, the PEP should say so. Or, the list of presumptions
be made clear. I can't be expected to know all the presumptions.

My presumption as a long standing windows programmer is that somehow the
'i386' notation was somehow meant to be somehow related to windows. Since
in the past, windows users had intel processors and mac users had risc
(motorola) processors.

So.... 'i386' can mean Linux, Mac, or Windows.

That's fine. Whatever.

As long as we're clear on that.

David