[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] packaging terminology confusion

John Gabriele jmg3000 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 15:27:25 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 6:53 AM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 12:33, Ben Finney <ben+python at benfinney.id.au> wrote:
>> Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I said that it's not a big problem because in most cases the
>>> terminology mixup does not result in any practical confusion. And I
>>> stand by that.
>>
>> So we're back to a tautology: where the terminology doesn't cause
>> confusion, it doesn't cause confusion. True, but not terribly useful.
>
> Except that this is not what I said.

Lennart, like you said, there's not much confusion for the majority of
cases where the distribution-package (distribution) contains only one
module-package. That is, if my CheeseWheel dist-package contains
exactly one module-package (named cheese_wheel), then there's pretty
much no confusion.

But, of course, there are cases when it's more complicated than that,
and (IMO) using one term for both will lead to confusion.

---John