[Distutils] Platform naming standardization

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed Jan 13 18:41:18 CET 2010

Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On Wednesday, January 13, 2010, at 04:15PM, "M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
>

>>> 2) On OS X, the modification to the value returned by
>>> pkg_resources.get_platform() isn't correct for fat version of Python
>>> 2.5, as detailed in setuptools issue 19.  To solve that, we're using the
>>> patch I submitted to the issue (with a couple recent changes).
>>
>> I think that using "fat" in the version string is wrong for
>> Mac OS X, since there are many ways to build fat binaries.
>>
>> Instead, the version string should include the details of
>> all included builds, ie. 'x86', 'x64', 'ppc', 'ppc64'.
>
> Maybe in the long run, but for now "fat" has a well-defined meaning for distutils: fat == ppc + x86_64. There is also a number of other variants, as described in the documentation for distutils.

I think you meant: fat == ppc + i386.

However, it's also possible to build binaries with ppc, i386 and
x86_64 - as are shipped with Mac OS X 10.6, so "fat" is not really
well-defined and could lead to trying to install 32-bit software for
a 64-bit build of Python.

IMHO, it's better to list the actually supported architectures
as e.g. "darwin-i386-ppc" or "darwin-i386-ppc-x86_64".

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 13 2010)

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/