[Distutils] Distutils roadmap of refactoring for 2.7

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 19:41:08 CET 2010

On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 7:11 PM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 06:29 PM 1/23/2010 +0100, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

>> > By removed, do you simply mean that distutils will stop using them, but
>> > the
>> > modules will still be there?  (i.e., deprecated and phased out, rather
>> > than
>> > simply dropped from existence altogether.)
>>
>> I'll use the same strategy than sysconfig :
>>
>> - if the API is just moved to another place and works exactly the same way
>>  (e.g. like what's planned for make_archive), it will  be dropped, and the
>>  documentation will refer to the new place.
>
> Is this the standard procedure for relocation of stdlib APIs across 2.x
> releases?
> I was under the impression that the standard is to do such things across two
> release cycles with a deprecation.

I was under the same impression at first (that's how I did at first
for distutils.sysconfig in my branch) but then MAL suggested in
python-dev that I could simply update the documentation for these
APIs, so I've followed that strategy.

Unlike micro releases, I don't think Distutils in 2.7 has to strictly
behave like in 2.6, API-wise, especially since a standalone backport
will be released for 2.6. Notice that other changes are coming up once
the series of PEP we worked on are accepted (which should be before
Pycon - at least for 345 and 386)

Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org