[Distutils] Distutils roadmap of refactoring for 2.7

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 10:29:46 CET 2010

2010/1/23  <exarkun at twistedmatrix.com>:
> There really is no standard for this.  The few times it's been raised on
> python-dev to create one, discussion has puttered out rather quickly with no
> resolution.
>
> I think that if the people doing this work (so, largely Tarek at this point)
> want, though, they can decide on a specific policy for distutils. If so,
> this should be documented somewhere as well, so that people know what to
> expect when upgrading distutils somehow (either via a stand- alone package
> or with a new version of Python).

I think deprecation is the ticket here. We don't want to force
everybody to have try/except imports or install the standalone version
just because of this. The standalone version should be if you need new
features, not just because you also want to work in Python 2.7.

http://regebro.wordpress.com/
+33 661 58 14 64