[Distutils] distribute doesn't use pip?

Tom Davis tom at recursivedream.com
Fri Jan 29 22:41:30 CET 2010

First, allow me to apologize in advance if this isn't the right place
for this question. I found this mailing list from the distribute docs,
but I'm not sure that it's a general support mailing list.

I've read through the distribute docs and either something isn't working
correctly or my understanding is off. I created a virtualenv using the
--distribute flag and annotated my setup.py file with the call to
use_setuptools(). I passed the install_requires argument to setup(),
including the impossible-to-install-via-easy_install package numpy. My
understanding was that distribute uses pip instead of the stock
easy_install, but this does not appear to be the case because "python
setup.py install" still fails to install numpy, dying with the same
exception that easy_install always throws. I tried a simple "pip install
numpy" and it worked, as expected.

Am I missing something? Was distribute never meant to use pip over
easy_install? Is there someway to flag a package as "
--single-version-externally-managed"? Am I pretty much doomed in the
case of wanting to handle the numpy dependency via setup.py?

Thanks!