[Distutils] distribute 0.6.10 and convert_2to3_doctests

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jan 29 22:54:26 CET 2010

On Jan 29, 2010, at 10:27 PM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

>For metadata fields like "version", one option I am working on in
>Distutils itself is to have a complementary section in the static
>setup.cfg file, where you can set some fields:
>
>  [setup]
>  name=foo
>  version=1.9.8
>
>Once setup() is run, the Distribution class will look at this file, to
>complete the options provided by code;
>
>Of course this supposes that the version is not calculated by some
>code (like in your solution). But I think a plain, non-development
>version, can be static.

Actually, my version number is a static assignment in __init__.py:

__version__ = '2.0.2'

and I just manually bump that with every release.  I'd be just as happy to
bump it in setup.cfg (maybe more!) as long as there was an API that I could
add to __init__.py to assign it to my module's namespace, e.g. in
mypkg/__init__.py:

from distribute.resources import get_version
__version__ = get_version('mypkg')

I don't much care how that's spelled.  The important things are:

* One place to bump version numbers
* Available from setup.py without importing from the package
* Available from the package's namespace

-Barry