[Distutils] How to force installing setuptools instead of distribute ?

Zubin Mithra zubin.mithra at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 06:15:06 CEST 2010

Hello,

> Ubuntu Lucid uses distribute instead of setuptools, and I cannot
> manage to use setuptools with virtualenv because of this. I upgraded
> to the last version of virtualenv, which claims to install setuptools
> by default, but I still get distribute instead, and I would guess this
> is because of Ubuntu using distribute, but who knows....
>
> Is there a simple way to force virtualenv to install setuptools (the
> PJE version, *not* the distribute fork) ?

There are two reasons I'd recommend you to use virtualenv over distribute :-
1. Setuptools is no longer being maintained.
2. Distribute is Py3k compatible while setuptools is not. On the event that
virtualenv gets ported to Py3k, it will be using distribute and not
setuptools.

Is there any particular reason you wish to use setuptools?

Zubin