[Distutils] How to force installing setuptools instead of distribute ?

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Thu Jul 1 07:55:45 CEST 2010

Hello

[David]
> Distribute broke basic features of easy_install, which makes it
> useless for my case (see for example #142).
Is that http://bitbucket.org/tarek/distribute/issue/142 ?
IIUC, distribute wanted to be a superset of setuptools, so bug fixes in
setuptools are supposed to go into distribute too. I’m not sure
distribute will still have the same momentum though, since we’re in the
process of taking good ideas out of it and adding them to distutils2 to
make a cleaner base for distribution (package) management in Python: see
http://tarekziade.wordpress.com/2010/03/03/the-fate-of-distutils-pycon-summit-packaging-sprint-detailed-report/

> Also, as a rule, I like to be in control of what I use as a programmer
> if I wish so, and the whole business of distribute claiming to be
> setuptools is really obnoxious.
You’re perfectly entitled to do that. distribute does provide
setuptools, so it seems normal that it would say so. (Had Python a
package manager, distribute would “provide” the setuptools package while
still allowing people to choose between the two implementations. I think
it was not feasible.)

> I can't understand how the community "allowed" distribute to take
> over setuptools like it does.
Well, probably because they wanted to use a version with more bugs fixed
and new features (e.g. 3.x support).

Kind regards