[Distutils] How to force installing setuptools instead of distribute ?

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 10:50:31 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 9:12 AM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
[..]
> Hm, that's a bit different from my understanding,
> but that's a bit
> irresponsible of Ubuntu to provide distribute if it does not get at
> least the bug fixes which go into setuptools.
> Maybe there is a
> miscommunication here, dunno. I thought the point of distribute was to
> get bug fixes that setuptools maintainers did not take care of.

It's precisely because Ubuntu is a good distribution that they decided
to switch to distribute to get the most active project in it.

If a bugfix didn't make it in Distribute, that's not an issue with Ubuntu
but a regression in Distribute we need to fix.

So as I told you many time, if you want to help, add an issue in the tracker,
or help us fixing this bug by providing a patch :)

>>> Also, as a rule, I like to be in control of what I use as a programmer
>>> if I wish so, and the whole business of distribute claiming to be
>>> setuptools is really obnoxious.

And the whole business of setuptools claiming to be distutils in some places
is really obnoxious too. And the fact that setuptools didn't evolve
for two years, and
was locked for maintenance was really obnoxious too.

It's not an ideal situation but it helped.

> If distribute were called distribute, it would have enabled people who
> want to use it to use it. But what's done is done :)

Not at all, using the same namespace was the only way to fix the bugs we had.

> I just hope that more care were taken in the whole situation, because
> those tools are so pervasive that even developers who don't use them
> have to support them (through virtualenv, easy_install, etc...).
> Setuptools already caused me a lot of trouble as a numpy/scipy
> maintainer, and distribute makes it even worse at the moment.

We are trying to do our best, and again, I am inviting you to help us.
Maybe we will be more responsible and take better care of things if we
had you around :)

Regards
Tarek

--