[Distutils] How to force installing setuptools instead of distribute ?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 00:36:23 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 3:30 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Jul 02, 2010, at 12:53 AM, David Cournapeau wrote:

>>> Please submit a bug report here:
>>>
>>> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/python-virtualenv
>>>
>>> Feel free to assign it to me (barry) or just send me the bug # and
>>> I'll take a look at it.
>>
>>This is issue 142 on bitbucket (distribute fork on Tarek account), and
>>there was a similar bug on setuptools issue tracker (submitted by
>>Zooko as well), but cannot find it ATM.
>>
>>thanks for looking into this,
>
> Maybe it's just me, but I'm having a hard time understanding and reproducing
> this bug report on Ubuntu.  Do you have a reproducible test case that I can
> use to see the problem?

Sure. Create a dummy setup.py:

from setuptools import setup
setup(name="foo", install_requires=["somepkg"])

with "somepkg" any package already installed on ubuntu, and then:

virtualenv tmp
source tmp/bin/activate
python setup.py install

You will see that somepkg is downloaded and installed even though it
is already there. It happened for me for any value of somepkg,
including twisted, django, simplejson.

As for using setuptools instead of distribute in virtualenv, I cannot
see the option on my current machine (with lucid virtualenv), which is
weird because I clearly remember having seen it at work. I will check
there to see what's different,

David