[Distutils] How to force installing setuptools instead of distribute ?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 11:54:48 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 6:45 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is your problem ? a bug seems to have been fixed in setuptools
> and was not backported
> in distribute. That was a miss we are going to fix. Like all software,
> there are bugs, regressions, etc.  You made a patch, great, it'll be
> pushed.

The problem is not the bug. Of course, every software has bugs. The
issue is that import setuptools give distribute, even though I do want
setuptools, and that distribute does that against both upstream will
and my will. The issue is that I have wasted days of free work on
numpy/scipy because of all this softwares that had causes issues *even
though my project don't use setuptools/distribute*.

I am sure you would be pissed too if people were installing numpy,
would change behavior of say zope behind your back, and you would get
all the bug reports from your users.

David