[Distutils] Packaging situation + mailing list rules

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 17:05:01 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 4:18 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
>> And how does this answer the question "what are the disagreements" ?
>> Short of saying what those are, I fail to see how to give a good
>> answer,
>
> I am not sure to understand your point here. You stated two years ago, IIRC,
> that distutils code was unmanageable and too complicated, and that a
> write from scracth
> was better.

I am sorry if I gave the impression I wanted to start again this
discussion. I really do not want to, and I don't think anyone else
does either. Eric stated very cleary what was my intention.

As for where distutils2 is going, we (me and other scipy people) have
stated why we *believed* (and still do) it was a wrong way when Guido
asked about it in the context of scipy, and I don't remember having
mentioned my disagreement over this ever since. It is pretty obvious
you won't change your mind, and I won't change mine either.

You will notice that I have almost never mentioned my own project on
this mailing list to avoid giving the impression I wanted to
circumvent what you are doing, I explicitly requested not to send
email about it on this ML for that exact reason. And I still give what
I believe are useful advices from time to time for people using
distutils/setuptools on this ML (without telling them: use bento
instead).

David