[Distutils] Packaging situation + mailing list rules

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Sat Jul 3 08:10:32 CEST 2010

[David Cournapeau]
> [Georg Brandl]>
>> I know the reasons for that decision, and I probably would have done the same
> Shall I understand that the hijacking of setuptools by distribute
> (instead of merely forking it under a new name, which I don't care
> about) is sanctioned by python-dev ?

Setuptools is not a python-dev project, ergo python-dev has no official
position on it. Georg is speaking for himself, albeit with the credit of
his involvement in python-dev.

FTR, when some extreme distribute fans proposed that the PyPI setuptools
entry had to be given to distribute, people (including Guido if my
memory’s not failing) sternly replied that this was rude and unwelcome.

As already stated elsewhere more than once, the fact that distribute
provides the setuptools Python package is a technical requirement.

Regards