[Distutils] Packaging situation + mailing list rules

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sat Jul 3 20:27:20 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jul 4, 2010 at 3:03 AM, P.J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 07:29 PM 7/3/2010 +0900, David Cournapeau wrote:
>>
>>  Besides the numerous technical issues, this is just basic decency. If
>>  I were PJE, I would be very mad.
>
> I'm not mad at it being provided with a compatible API.

This is obviously fine.

>  However, I *am*
> very unhappy with the fact that the version of distribute that's being
> shipped with OS distributions is both packaged as (e.g.)
> "python-setuptools", AND prevents people from installing the real
> setuptools, even in a local directory!
>
> So, David, I hope you've filed this as a bug report with both Distribute and
> Ubuntu, and that others will do the same for any other distribution that's
> shipping distribute under a misleading name and that has this behavior.

Barry did it for ubuntu, zooko did a few months ago for distribute and
I provided the patch for distribute (a few months ago as well). But I
did not realize a few months ago that I was forced to use distribute
without any fallback.

On the bright side, this gave me much more respect for you and
setuptools, and I admire your patience.

David