[Distutils] buildout and issues with dependencies and patch.

Xavier Ordoquy xordoquy at linovia.com
Mon Jul 5 17:30:50 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am currently trying to get buildout as my default deploy system however, I'm facing two issues for which I don't understand buildout well enough and for which I haven't found answers on the net.

My first issue is I need to get both numpy and matplotlib installed.
So I added both to the eggs section of buildout.
numpy seems to get downloaded and installed fine, however, matplotlib won't. The latest complains numpy isn't installed.
At this point, my guesses - after investigations - are that  matplotlib checks numpy availability by importing it. However, as buildout has not set the numpy egg in the path, matplotlib fails and ends.
I have noticed there's a way to set headers  and library path for compilers but I can't find a way to set the numpy's egg path, even when I move matplotlib to a section with the egg receipe.

Does someone know a way to get numpy eggs prepend to the paths so that matplotlib can detect it ?

My second question is, I also want to install pysvn. This package needs a patch to be setuptool friendly. I would like to know if there's a simple way within the buildout.cfg file to apply a patch to a package before it gets eggified ?

Regards,
Xavier.