[Distutils] Bootstrap script for package management tool in Python 2.7 (Was: Re: [Python-Dev] At least one package management tool for 2.7)

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 08:31:55 CEST 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
> [..]
>>>
>>> Sounds like a simple installation instruction, I can't see the benefit
>>> of adding a script for that.
>>
>> Of course! Because you are a developer. You need to be a user or at
>> least QA engineer to see it. =)
>>
>> For now in its simplest minimal form that is possible to create in a
>> day for 2.7 it is an simple text instruction. This will surely can be
>> ready for 2.7. But in future distributions, i.e. in Python 2.7
>> non-beta, it may be able to download required package management tool
>> automatically if user agrees, unpack it to %TEMP% and execute
>> "setup.py install".
>
> You are completely right about the fact that our tools and guide are
> aiming to developers.
>
> The CPython distribution comes with the stdlib, no more no less. So
> there's no point to launch the installation of a third party project
> when you install CPython.

Not when you (as a user) install, but when you try to execute `python
-m easy_install` or `python -m pip` or `python -m distribute`, i.e. as
advised in Packaging Guide.

> And until the stdlib contains what it takes
> to have a full-feature package manager, you will need to do an extra
> manual installation to get one, or use another Python distribution
> that contains one already.

That's suxx that I need to prepend every simple tutorial for users of
my packages with an obligatory notice how to install setuptools
instead of just writing:

> python -m easy_install review

With installing easy_install it is not as easy to install as it could be.
--
anatoly t.