[Distutils] What are non-active development eggs?

Jason Baker jbaker at zeomega.com
Wed Jul 7 15:24:39 CEST 2010

I've posted this question to Stackoverflow[1], but didn't get a response
there so I thought I'd ask here.  (This is simply a copy and paste of that

For whatever reason, my build system isn't installing one of my packages
properly.  When I use yolk (from within a virtualenv), I get the following:

    bin/yolk -l elig
    elig            - 3.1.2.dev    - non-active development

How exactly does a package go from active development to non-active