[Distutils] [buildout] buildout 1.5 sometime ever please?

Martijn Faassen faassen at startifact.com
Thu Jul 8 19:11:04 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Gary Poster <gary.poster at canonical.com> wrote:

> On Jul 8, 2010, at 12:58 PM, Martijn Faassen wrote:
>
>> Hey,
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Martijn Faassen <faassen at startifact.com> wrote:
>>> Trying the beta-fix branch on python 2.6.5 with distribute (0.6.13)  I
>>> get the following error when bootstrapping:
>>
>> Oops, I realized I should use dev.py instead. That does work, but the
>> tests fail with a lot of MissingDistribution: Couldn't find a
>> distribution for 'distribute'.
>
> Hm, I don't get those at all--only what I reported.
>
> Was this a clean Python?

This is an Ubuntu python (with distribute already installed), so not
clean at all, my apologies for missing that. I tried to run it with a
2.6 virtualenv (with --no-site-packages) I have set up, but I get this
error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named ConfigParser

and then this message:

/home/faassen/projects/buildout-betafix/src/zc/buildout/easy_install.py:1232:
UserWarning: Buildout has been asked to exclude or limit site-packages
so that builds can be repeatable when using a system Python.  However,
the chosen Python executable has a broken implementation of -S (see
https://bugs.launchpad.net/virtualenv/+bug/572545 for an example
problem) and this breaks buildout's ability to isolate site-packages.
If the executable already has a clean site-packages (e.g., using
virtualenv's ``--no-site-packages`` option) you may be getting
equivalent repeatability.  To silence this warning, use the -s
argument to the buildout script.  Alternatively, use a Python
executable with a working -S (such as a standard Python binary).
  warnings.warn(BROKEN_DASH_S_WARNING)
Upgraded:
  setuptools version 0.6c11;
restarting

In the virtualenv I get the tests running more slowly (so they're
doing more), and a ton of test failures; most do look shallow, such as
when this extra message is emitted in the output:

    Upgraded:
      setuptools version 0.6c11;
    restarting.
    Generated script '/sample-bootstrap/bin/buildout'.

Looks like I should try installing a fresh Python and try again.

Regards,

Martijn