[Distutils] Can't get "development mode" work as I like it

Hartmut Goebel h.goebel at goebel-consult.de
Fri Jul 9 17:43:18 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm used to develop and test from within a single project-directory,
without any staging area, etc. As long as I did use scripts, this worked
very well. But when switching to pkg_resources entry-points, I get
problems: Now I need to ask easy_install (or setup.py develop ...) to
create the "scripts" for me.

Running

  python setup.py develop --install-dir . --script-dir .

gives an "error: bad install directory or PYTHONPATH" since the current
directory is not in PYTHONPATH.

I tried other options, too, eg. adding "--editable -b . -N", but with no
success. (This very one works as expected, but creates a
*.egg-link file which will make the next install recurse until dead.)

How can I make easy_install/distribute to generate only the scripts in
the current directory?

A typical setup for me looks like this:

project-a/
  setup.py
  README
  my_package/
     __init__.py
     ... more stuff ...

And I'm working like this:

cd project-a
# edit my_package/__init__.py
./my-script

--
Schönen Gruß - Regards
Hartmut Goebel

Goebel Consult
Spezialist für IT-Sicherheit in komplexen Umgebungen
http://www.goebel-consult.de

Monatliche Kolumne: http://www.cissp-gefluester.de/
Goebel Consult mit Mitglied bei http://www.7-it.de