[Distutils] `setup.py register` can't create PyPI account.

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 23:56:16 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 11:22 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> Am 12.07.2010 14:43, schrieb Fred Drake:
>> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 7:07 AM, Takayuki Shimizukawa
>> <shimizukawa at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> However, the usage of the register command is written on a
>>> manual (http://docs.python.org/distutils/packageindex.html), and
>>> many people will meet with the same problem by using the method.
>>
>> I guess it's been a long time since I've seen that menu!
>>
>> This does indicate a bug, which should be fixed.  Part of the fix
>> should include a test for PyPI that an account can be created using
>> the interface invoked by distutils.
>
> That is not feasible. It might be necessary to break distutils again,
> for whatever reason. So I'd rather suggest to remove the "register user"
> functionality from distutils, and direct users to web signup.r

Why is that ? This used to work, IIRC. This is a regression on PyPI
side (checkbox added afaik), and needs  to be fixed.

We could think about deprecating it maybe, but we cannot break all
existing python versions with a change in the PyPI UI like that...

Regards
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org