[Distutils] `setup.py register` can't create PyPI account.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jul 13 00:23:10 CEST 2010

Am 13.07.2010 00:15, schrieb Tarek Ziadé:
> 2010/7/13 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
>>> Why is that ? This used to work, IIRC. This is a regression on PyPI
>>> side (checkbox added afaik), and needs  to be fixed.
>>
>> How would you propose to fix this?
>
> A quick hack is to look at the user agent (urllib2) and remove your
> checkbox in this case.

That would be unacceptable, because the question is then not being
asked. Our legal counsel advised us that we must have such a checkbox,
and offering a way to bypass it defeats its purpose.

> A cleaner step would be to remove this and create a new UI page to
> register the users
> from within the web version, and change the human links in your web app.

This I don't understand. Is this essentially the same proposal: you
don't get asked the question if you register through distutils?

> We have one complaint now, and I am complaining too. You cannot break
> existing software then say you don't consider this a "serious" problem
> because it's not widely used.

Sure I can. If the PSF legal counsel tells me to make a change to PyPI,
I don't question that order, not even if complying means to break some code.

> Are you really expecting me to remove silently this feature from all
> python versions documentation and tell people it's not a serious
> problem ?

I think the whole notion of distutils being able to perform user
registration is flawed. This already is clear when you consider that
it actually *doesn't* register the user, but only initiates registration
so that the user has to complete registration over the
web. We might as well tell him to do the entire registration over the web.

Regards,
Martin