[Distutils] `setup.py register` can't create PyPI account.

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 01:02:04 CEST 2010

2010/7/13 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:

>> Again, maybe it's flawed, and maybe we should remove it. But you cannot
>> break this feature in Python 2.5, 26 etc.. because you find it flawed today.
>
> And it's not the reason that I broke it. Instead, the reason is that the
> PSF required me to make the change. I didn't even remember that this
> would break distutils. Now that I think about it, I think it's distutils
> that needs to get fixed going forward. For backwards compatibility, I'm
> willing to accept solutions as long as they don't allow users to bypass
> that checkbox.

I understand why you did that change, and I understand the reasons.
We also agree that Distutils needs to be fixed, and this is being
worked out in Distutils2.

But I strongly disagree that its better to break existing Python
versions to comply with the PSF legal policy. I think this is a
mistake, and I think it's acceptable to bypass that policy in
distutils. That policy didn't exist back then, so it makes perfectly
sense not to have it in Distutils.

Furthermore, I would like if possible, that all changes in PyPI that
may impact existing software, to be discussed, so we can be aware of
such problems.

(I am sending a mail to the PSF list, because I would like to defend
my opinion for the legal aspect)

Regards
Tarek

--