[Distutils] buildout and issues with dependencies and patch.

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Jul 16 17:09:41 CEST 2010

Jim Fulton wrote:
> matplotlib is problematic for buildout due to the introspection it
> does.  I haven't found a good solution.  What I've done in the past is
> to make a not-so-clean Python (or virtualenv) that has numpy installed
> and then use buildout with that to install matplotlib.
>
> (Another work-around occurs to me, which I will try and report back. :)

I've had success by building matplotlib and numpy binary eggs for each
platform you want to deploy on by:

- unpacking the source distro
- python setup.py bdist_egg (can't remember the exact incantation here)
- putting the resulting egg somewhere that a --find-links or buildout
equivalent can find.

>> My second question is, I also want to install pysvn.

I would avoid using pysvn if at all possible. I've had serious problems
with this being compiled against one set of svn libraries which the
"real" client being used was compiled against another. Because of SVN's
propensity for changing their working copy format with *every f'ing
point release* this becomes extremely frustrating.

I tend to just shell out to the svn command and process the returned
results with execute:

http://packages.python.org/execute/

cheers,

Chris