[Distutils] distutils.Extension : setting a concurrency level

Florian Le Goff bletofarine at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 14:46:37 CEST 2010

Hi,

I'm wondering how to reproduce the equivalent of "make -j<n>" on a
setup.py script.

In my setup, I'm using distutils.Extension to build a C(++, somehow)
extension to Python 2.6. I have a few dozens files in the "sources"
parameter of the Extension module and I would like to get a chance to
use my multi-core CPU to speed up my extension's build.

My desired outcome: having setup.py build using a few instances of my
C-compiler in the same time, instead of only one.

There are probably an environnement var or two that I'm missing. Or
maybe it could be an interesting feature for distutils2 ?

Thank you for your help.

--
Florian Le Goff
Lille, France