[Distutils] GCC versions and binary egg names

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 06:43:57 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 3:17 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On Jul 26, 2010, at 06:04 PM, Chris Withers wrote:
>
>>In addition to the UCS2/4 problems already described by MAL and which
>>I've bumped into myself, I now have a problem with binary linux eggs
>>where the GCC version doesn't match that of the system the egg is
>>being installed on.
>>
>>Current egg metadata doesn't take either of these into account or even
>>provide a way for the nature of the binary egg to be recorded.
>>
>>How're people coping with this?
>>What are the future plans in this area?
>
> I wonder if any distutils experts would care to comment on PEP 3149, and its
> applicability to this problem?
>
> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3149/
>
> Is there any way this PEP can help?  Do you have any comments that I should
> add to the PEP?

AFAIK, this PEP helps for ABI issues *within* one platform at one
given version. But this does not cope with the issue of
inter-distributions ABI (which I think is hopelessly intractable
unless you bundle almost everything, which is what everybody is doing
outside the system packaging system)

cheers,

David