[Distutils] buildout and issues with dependencies and patch.

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Fri Jul 30 10:05:09 CEST 2010

On 07/06/2010 03:21 PM, Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Xavier Ordoquy<xordoquy at linovia.com>  wrote:
>>
>> Does someone know a way to get numpy eggs prepend to the paths so
> that matplotlib can detect it ?
>
> matplotlib is problematic for buildout due to the introspection it
> does.  I haven't found a good solution.  What I've done in the past is
> to make a not-so-clean Python (or virtualenv) that has numpy installed
> and then use buildout with that to install matplotlib.

I've also installed numpy globally ("apt-get install .....").  I'm
currently experimenting with a recipe that first looks up several named
eggs globally.  Only if they're not available yet, does it install them
regularly through buildout.  So something like:

[buildout]
parts =
     sysegg

[sysegg]
recipe = osc.recipe.sysegg
force-sysegg =
eggs =
     numpy

It seems to work quite well.  I'm hoping it helps me with the packages
that install just fine on linux and not on windows or vice versa.  You
only have to install global versions of just the once that fail, that way.

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees - reinout at vanrees.org - http://reinout.vanrees.org
Programmer at http://www.nelen-schuurmans.nl